I am a trained print and Web journalist versed in the latest storytelling techniques and Associated Press style. I have experience covering public safety, higher education, technology and pop culture for a variety of publications.
I founded Nerdvana in August 2007 while working as a copy editor and page designer at the East Valley Tribune to increase the paper’s online pop culture offerings. It placed first in the “Best Feature Blogs” category of the Arizona Press Club’s 2011 and 2010 Best Journalism in Arizona and second in 2009, and on several occasions has made the Wired magazine’s GeekDad list of people to follow on Twitter.
In 2016, I acquired and spun off Nerdvana as an independent venture at nerdvanamedia.com
Speaking of GeekDad, I have been invited to write for the popular blog (once hosted by Wired magazine) on several occasions.
- 5 Important Things to follow while developing a website
- Can Facebook woo publishers – again?
- Key Apple updates for publishers (Nieman Journalism Lab)
- Why don’t archivists digitize everything?
- Tagging with the devil
- Star Wars Celebration Orlando 2017
- Award-winning videos from 2016
- We shall not look upon his like again.
- Now I Know: WordPress page template customization and more
- What a real man looks like
- Probably an unpopular view…
- MiG restoration at Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum
- Embedding is the new linking
- This comic is my new spirit animal
- Create a document to plan your social posts
- Good luck Chris Woodka — no one can replace your work on the water beat
- Chieftain 360: Colorado State Fair Carnival Sneak Peek
- VIDEO: World War II veteran Bruce Elson – From Pueblo, Colo., to Hiroshima, Japan
- Pueblo’s Pokemon potential
- Next stop: wherever you say …
- Some CHONC in your TRONC
- Chieftain 360
- Pueblo County’s illegal home pot grows
- Making Nerdvana great again
- It’s a Star Wars life
- Episode 7 Days of Star Wars
- STAR POWER: Fanatics make midnight run for ‘Phantom’ toys
- Star Wars bloopers
- Scottsdale author lives some fans’ dream, continues Lucas legacy in ‘Star Wars’ novels
- Power of the Force
- ‘General’ treats modern Ireland justly
- Thousands mourn slain Phoenix officer
- Clinton: Booming budget bad time to begin tax cuts
- Senior spins wheels — the healthy way
- Tempeans protest self-serve gas station
- Pastor goes Hollywood in Advent
- Colorado film festival features photography student’s works
- Evolution education now added to state high school standards